Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thing 2:What is Library 2.0

My goodness that was alot of reading and linking and digging farther into the concept of Library2.0.

I thought I could take 1 or 2 hours a week from my time off of the desk to finish "a Thing", but that doesn't seem to do it. Therefore we add another thing [no pun intended] to our plates and something else suffers. When do we have time to order, weed, arrange for programs and publicize them, et. al???

I am participating, because I realize technology is constantly changing and I am way behind. It is not a priority of mine to keep up, but I at least need to be aware of what these terms mean and can make an informed decision about what is really necessary for the community we serve.

The internet gobbles time like nothing else. The vastness is overwhelming.

On scale of 1-10 (10 being high), I am about a 1. I don't feel our library is much over that either. It would be interesting to hear how an expert in the field would rate us, since often times we are more critical of ourselves than others.

I am looking forward to see how my views change after exploring 23 Things.

1 comment:

Kathy Martin said...

Take heart. While none of the rest of the things take as short a time as the 15 minutes Abram talks about, none take as long as Thing 2 took. The last three or so took about an hour all together to finish. Of course, you could stretch them out (Flickr and the image generators will surely suck up all the time you have to spare if you want them to) but you should be able to finish each of the rest in less than 1 hour each. I didn't keep exact track but that's my estimation of how long they took.